Monday 3 February 2014

Before Shino joined my family, there was not much conversation in the house. My sister and I always shut ourselves in our own room when we were home while my parents were doing their own things. We did not and will not share our problems with them. At the age of 17, I was told that a 3 year old, blind in one eye husky was available for adoption. I was excited and immediately went to seek my parents' approval. I was rejected right away by my mother even though my father was neutral about it. After much consideration, I accepted the offer and went to adopt Shino as soon as possible without my parents’ approval. I can still remember how happy I was when I first saw her, but I was even happier when my mother accepted her right away. However, that was only the beginning of the happiness. With the addition of the new family member, my family and I finally shared a common topic, Shino. We started interacting more with each other, spending more time outside our rooms. Often, I will take a stepped back and looked at my family. I was glad that I made the right choice and because of Shino, I learned to be more responsible and most importantly, I finally understood how much my parents love me because it’s the same as how much I love Shino.

234 words

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wei Long, for this heart-felt reflection. You generally describe the situation well, building up the background by describing how your family members rarely interacted before you adopted Shino, then detailing your emotions on the day of the adoption. You also make it clear that you felt there was more interaction once Shino was in your home. I just wonder what it was about the dog that brought you all together. A sentence or two explaining Shino would make this a richer post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wei Long I enjoyed reading your post! Shino sounds like a really lovely dog. I was moved when you relate your parents' love for you to your love for Shino. It goes to show that you appreciate your family even though you wrote that you did not express it outwardly before. It was really nice of you to adopt Shino (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Wei Long! It's really nice to read your post where you wrote about your love towards Shino and how having Shino made you a better person. Sometimes making sudden decisions like this are one of the best decisions you can make! :-)

    ReplyDelete