Wednesday 16 April 2014

Reflection for ES1102

The semester is comning to an end. It was pleasant because of everyone's company, I had made so many great friends. I learnt a lot from this module. The main take away for this module wasn't grammars and essays, but i was time management and discipline.

The start of this journey was a pleasant and exciting one, writing reflections about ourselves, interesting blog posts, all these did not feel like a chore to me. I spent long hours trying to craft out the best post that i could with my ability without complaints. However, my attitude started to change when we were tasked with the "Globalization" essay.

The topic was neither interesting nor useful for me. It was very difficult for me to put in 100% of my effort into writing, On top of that, works start to pile up during the middle of the semester with multiple assignments from each modules, naturally, i prioritised ES1102 the least.

Being a Communication and New Media (CNM) major, I am taking a media writing module concurrently with ES1102. The writing style between academic essay and media writing are very different and I had a hard time adjusting. For example, newspaper article focus on front loading with the inverted pyramid structure whereas academic writing focus on building up from problems to solutions.

On the bright side, with the help of this course, the grammar quizes really helped a lot in learning grammar. The quizes were enjoyable and fulfilling. Another component that i enjoyed a lot is the oral presentation. I sincerely felt that i was very useful and applicable.

I would like to thank Brad for being such a great teacher. I can feel the passion within him. He was very patient in teaching students. Reading so many of my substandard essays and still willing to correct me, I felt ashamed.

As I've mentioned, the main takeaway for me was the time management and discipline. Not limited to those, I am more aware of my grammar when writing an essay and was glad that given a chance to have a oral presentation on something we spent so miuch time on.

As I'm typing this reflection, this reminded me of how i let during the time when we were blogging. Honestly, I am enjoying this module again.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Wei Long, for your effort in this final critical reflection. You describe your situation in the course and the areas that you have appreciated quite well. You also explain why your effort might have been compromised once the work in other modules became heavier. At the same time, you allude to my own tasks, which is giving students worthwhile and honest feedback on their work.

    Indeed, your language use has been an area of concern, one that you obviously recognize. Now you need to continue on the path of improvement. In Gibb’s Model of Reflection, there is space for an action plan for future development. Though you haven’t mentioned that in this essay, I assume you have one. Your English use and writing in specific will only improve with dedication. That is what all your work, no matter the faculty of study, will lead to, but it will take an effort and a map of direction to expedite that.

    Best of luck as you work toward your future goals!

    ReplyDelete